Every year electrical fires cost $1.4 billion in property damage, according to the Electrical Safety Foundation International.  Over half of these fires are related to electrical wiring problems. 

When Should You Call An Electrician?

Flickering Lights 

Flickering lights are a sure sign there is a problem with your electricity. Flickering can occur because there is an an overload in the electrical system, usually from multiple appliances running at the same time. 

For instance, if two appliances that take substantial energy, like the refrigerator and air conditioner, are running at the same time and fixed on a single circuit, it can result in dim or flickering lights as there is an interruption in the system. 

A Burning Smell 

A sure sign your electrical system needs immediate attention is if an outlet smells like charred wires or smoke. This typically happens because there is a short circuit in the wiring, releasing an acidic smell. 

You should have a professional electrician check the circuits if you see discolored or charred outlets. Faulty wiring can cause heat build-up, cause the outlets to arch, char the surface, and start a fire.

Warm Outlets 

It doesn’t matter how many things you have plugged into an outlet, it should never be hot or warm when you touch it. If it is, there is an overload on your circuits

Ignoring this situation can lead to a potentially dangerous situation. You always want to check the wattage requirements of anything you plug into the outlets. 

An electrical outlet isn’t working

First step is to check the main breaker panel for a tripped circuit. The panel is usually located in the garage, utility closet, or laundry room.

If there isn’t a tripped breaker, the outage may be limited to the outlet. Do not use any outlet with blackening near the outlet plugs. To avoid an electrical fire, the outlet should be replaced immediately. 

Keeping your electrical system in peak condition is imperative for the safety of your family and employees. Check back with us next week for more instances you should contact an electrician. Until then, contact Sanford Electric Company.

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons