We’ve all used a power strip or electric cord at one time or another. They can be a convenient solution to not having enough outlets, but they can also be very dangerous. 

Power strips can safely handle items that only require little power. Such as AV equipment, lamps, laptops, tablets, and smartphones. 

Using a power strip for appliances and devices that need more electricity, means you are at risk for causing an electrical fire by overloading the power strip. Don’t make the mistake of thinking just because an electronic or appliance is small it doesn’t  require a lot of power to function. 

Avoid a dangerous situation by never plugging these items into a power strip 

Large appliances 

A power strip is easily overloaded by a high powered kitchen appliance. Most of these larger appliances are required to be plugged directly into their own dedicated wall outlet. 

Small kitchen appliances

When it comes to kitchen appliances, size does not matter. Even small appliances draw a lot of electricity to work. Dedicated outlets are needed for slow cookers, toaster ovens, blenders, coffee makers, and microwaves.

Irons and hair styling tools 

Most people don’t realize items such as cloths irons, hair dryers, curling and flat irons require a lot of electricity to get hot. If you are using these appliances near a wet area, such as the bathroom, they should be plugged into a GFCI outlet.

Other power strips and extension cords 

It is very dangerous to plug one power strip or extension cord into another, it is called “daisy chaining”. It can easily trip a circuit or cause a fire.

In today’s age we are using more electronics and appliances than ever before. Even newer homes are in need of more outlets. At Sanford Electric Company, your safety is our top priority. An electrical hazard should never be ignored. 

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons