In the latest blog, our readers learned plenty of potentially life-saving tips for using portable generators. Today, we are sharing more about carbon monoxide poisoning prevention. Join us today as we share more safety information to keep your family safe, and reach out to our local Sanford electricians for your generator options in preparation for the next power outage.

Carbon monoxide poisoning prevention:

Last time you dropped in to learn about electrical and carbon monoxide safety, you learned not to ever run a portable generator in the following areas:

  • indoors
  • garage
  • porch
  • basement
  • within twenty feet of a house or living space

We mentioned that they cannot run in the rain without an approved tent or covering protecting the engine from the rain. Storing gas properly is important and must be taken seriously. Where and how you store gas is just as important.

Look into generators that have safety features such as an automatic shutoff. Such safety features prevent the generator from creating dangerously high CO levels in enclosed spaces. Some newer engines even emit less carbon monoxide altogether.

Portable generator safety tips:

If you did not yet read our last article, check it out, and come straight back. Once you are all caught up, let’s continue with this discussion. In everyday situations, adults always try to avoid electrical hazards.

But in the midst of post-storm chaos, electrical hazards may be right in front of your eyes without you even realizing. Without a transfer switch, you can use the outlets on the generator. Assuming you follow precautions, it is best to plug appliances directly into a generator.

If you need to use an extension cord, it should be a heavy-duty outdoor extension cord. It should be rated at least equal to the sum of the connected appliance’s loads. Before ever using any extension cords, even for holiday decorating, check the entire cord for cuts.

Be sure the plug has all three prongs as this is critical to protect against shock if water has collected inside the equipment. This is a very useful safety tip that can be used in everyday life!

Avoid backfeeding:

Backfeeding is when a person tries to power a home’s wiring by plugging the generator into a wall outlet. Do not attempt this. This extremely dangerous, reckless method presents an electrocution risk to utility workers. Additionally, it puts all neighbors¬† at risk that rely on the same utility transformer.

Consumer Reports also shares it bypasses some of the built-in household circuit protection devices. Therefor, you could end up frying some of your electronics. Even worse, you could possibly start an electrical fire.

With family members coming over for Thanksgiving dinner or in town for COVID safe visit, prepare your home for heavy power usage. Come back next time as we share valuable electrical safety information and news! Do not hesitate to reach out to our local Sanford electricians with any questions you may have about generators and carbon monoxide poisoning prevention.

Have a great, safe Thanksgiving!

Staff Writer

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons